Wednesday, December 28, 2011

new year, new you?

Another year is coming to a close and I have come no closer to blogging on a regular schedule. I suppose we go through transitional phases and for some, these phases last longer (hi!).

rings I wore often; taken in early 2011

Over the past year I have cut back a lot on shopping and consuming in general. Instead of seeing something and thinking how much I would love to have it, I instead think of whether or not I need it.

This past year I have also watched a few food and corporations-related documentaries. For as long as I can remember, I have cared about the environment, which led me to find out more about mass-farming practices and how these practices affect not only the earth, but our health as well. For years I have relayed the shocking facts I've learned to as many people as possible, but the problem is, I've been preaching to an audience that doesn't necessarily want to listen (and an audience that usually includes my friends and family; people I care about). It amazes me how many people would hear these astonishing facts and then continue to live as if these facts had no impact on their lives at all. In short (ha! that was not short) I've become a little tired of preaching to the deaf and decided to put my words into action. It frightens me that while I'm watching the people interviewed in documentaries, there are many who think they are merely one person against government-funded corporations and they could never win. Change starts with one person.

Anyway, what this blog has in store next year is yet to be seen. Whatever it may be, I'll try not to get too preachy and advocate-y on you, dear readers.

Thanks for another year of support and hope you've all had a wonderful holiday season! All my best to every single one of you for the new year.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you too! Thanks for sharing your reflections on the past year, and how you've been more mindful about being a "consumer" :)

    Do stay in touch - I'd love for us to connect in person this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great to hear someone who believes they can change things! I admire you.


    Love Grace.

    ReplyDelete

merci beaucoup!